If you run a restaurant, it’s easy for rats to take space in your business establishment, given the abundant food and water, as well as cozy spots to hide, dwell, and breed. Without regular cleaning and robust upkeep, it’s easy for them to sneak into your place and soon start an infestation, without you knowing it.
Rats aren’t just pesky creatures that can easily invade many restaurants and annoy the customers. They can actually pose a health danger, and that can be all the more concerning. They won’t only affect the health of your employees and customers, but they can also endanger your business.
When this happens, you should do what it takes to get rid of them. Seeking professionals to eliminate these rats is the most viable solution. Let’s take a look at what you need to know about a rat infestation in restaurants and why you need to get rid of them by all possible means.
Impact of a Rat Infestation in Restaurants
Rats are commonly found in restaurants. As mentioned, they can get attracted to the abundance of food and water. Restaurants also serve as an ideal place for them to hide and breed. An infestation can be one of the biggest nightmares you’ll be confronted with as a business owner. It can result in the following:
- Destroy equipment and foodstuff
- Cause diseases and health hazards
- Tarnish your reputation
- Drive your clients away
- Lead to financial loss
- Liable to fines and lawsuits (failure to comply with safety and health regulation)
Signs of Rat Presence
Getting rid of your rats is essential in the restaurant business. The initial step to take is to be wary of signs of rat presence. Take note of the following signs:
- Dead rats in basements and garbage
- Noises, such as scratching sounds after dusk, and scurrying noises in ceilings
- Droppings, especially in or around trash areas, food storage, dark hidden corners
- Evidence of gnawed structural wood or wires, and chewed pipes
- Burrows around the restaurant
- Rodent hairs along paths or near food
- Removed insulation
- Rub and grease marks, including along walls
- Urine staining, among others
Common Diseases Spread by Rats
Rats can spread various diseases, some of which can be a real threat to human life. Here are some of the common diseases:
- Leptospirosis: This is a bacterial disease causing a wide range of symptoms. Patients may experience a headache, high fever, vomiting, jaundice, muscle aches, abdominal pain, diarrhea, rash, red eyes, and chills. When left unattended, leptospirosis can result in Weil’s disease leading to liver failure, kidney damage, meningitis, and death.
- Rat-bite fever: This is from a rat bite, scratch, or contact with a corpse of an infected rodent. This can spread deadly bacteria and cause fatal health conditions. Rat-bite fever often causes vomiting, headache, fever, muscle pain, rash, and joint pain.
- Tularemia: This is a bacterial infection that can pose a real threat to the life of an infected individual. It is a result of improper handling of carcasses of an infected animal and consuming contaminated water or food.
Getting Rid of Rats
Now that we know how rats can quickly and easily invade your restaurant and how they can pose health issues, let’s discuss how to get rid of them.
Consider the following steps: conduct inspection, seal all rat entry points, utilize interior rat trapping, have exterior rat bait stations, perform proper rat sanitation, and clean up rat mess.
As you can tell, getting rid of a rat infestation is quite overwhelming to take. That said, it is better to leave it to experts. Contact professionals who can eliminate these critters and ensure they won’t come back. Looking for a critter removal service? Get in touch with us today!